Here is what the “Supporting Actress in a Drama Series” category would look like if I was in charge of the Emmys (unfortunately, you can only nominate six people).
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
- Adelaide Clemens (Tawney Talbot, Rectify)
– Calista Flockhart (Cat Grant, Supergirl)
– Haydon Pannettiere (Juliet Barnes, Nashville)
– Holly Taylor (Paige Jennings, The Americans)
– Maura Tierney (Helen Solloway,The Affair)
– Alison Wright (Martha Hanson, The Americans)
Runner-Up: Chyler Leigh (Alex Danvers, Supergirl)
Watching Rectify, I don’t think I ever wondered about Tawny’s backstory or thought we’d be told it. But when season three gave us a peek into her childhood, this information was suddenly vitally illuminating. All the confusion Tawny was grappling could be found on Adelaide Clemens’ face and her marriage conversations with Teddy, Jr. (Clayne Crawford) were repeatedly striking.
And let the debates begin! Do you agree with my choices? Disagree? Voice your thoughts in the comments below and organize your own nominee list using the official Emmy ballot.
Also be sure to check back July 14th when the official nominees get announced.
(P.S. No worries if your choices are long shots (certainly many of mine are). but it’s nice to pretend they have a chance anyway.)