Here is what the “Lead Actor in a Drama Series” category would look like if I was in charge of the Emmys (unfortunately, you can only nominate six people).
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
- Aden Young (Daniel Holden, Rectify)
– Matthew Rhys (Philip Jennings, The Americans)
– Freddie Highmore (Norman Bates, Bates Motel)
– Rami Malek (Elliot Alderson, Mr. Robot)
– Justin Thoreaux (Kevin Garvey, The Leftovers)
– Michael K. Williams (Leonard Pine, Hap and Leonard)
Runner-Up: Cillian Murphey (Thomas Shelby, Peaky Blinders)
From episode one Aden Young has given one of the greatest performances on television, often in silence. Daniel’s eminent exile from Paulie, in accordance with his plea bargain, hung over season four but it was business as usual for Young, as he hit every note of Daniel’s acceptance of his choice with customary panache.
And let the debates begin! Do you agree with my choices? Disagree? Voice your thoughts in the comments below and organize your own nominee list using the official Emmy ballot.
Also be sure to check back July 14th when the official nominees get announced.
(P.S. No worries if your choices are long shots (certainly many of mine are). but it’s nice to pretend they have a chance anyway.)